Software Developer (JR0000016626)
**1-year term position**
As part of the IT development team, the software developer is involved in the full Software Development Lifecycle (SLDC) process of McGill University IT applications portfolio. Working closely with other IT teams, he delivers in a timely manner and with high quality level expected by McGill users. The software developer designs, develops, debugs, tests, supports/maintains, integrates applications and IT systems.
- Develop the following artifacts (not limited to): code, scripts (Database and others), automated unit/functional/integration tests, unit test cases, deployment instructions
- Work with other IT Professionals in implementing new systems or modifying existing systems that meet business requirements and are aligned with IT orientations
- Transform detailed functional specifications into code/scripts in accordance with design and programming standards
- Provide estimates for tasks and artifacts under own responsibility
- Conduct unit testing and support Analysts and Technical teams during functional and integration testing
- Participates in the proposal, definition and promotion of development standards.
- Performs peer code review and coaching less experienced members of the team.
- Support IT team in resolving system incidents/problems
- Assist Technical Teams during deployment
- Performs other duties as assigned
Education: Undergraduates Degree (related field)
Experience: Three (3) years’ related experience
OTHER QUALIFYING SKILLS AND/OR ABILITIES
- Proven experience DBs and SQL (experience with PL/SQL, Oracle Forms and Oracle 11g/12c/19c are assets)
- Knowledge of Web Services (SOAP, REST are assets)
- Understanding of Web front/backend development (HTML, AJAX are assets)
- Experience with Version Control Systems (GIT, PVCS and GITLAB are assets)
- Experience with Task and Bug tracking tools (JIRA an asset)
- Understanding CI/CD principles (GitLab, GoCd are assets)
- Knowledge of modelling languages such as UML
- Experience with Banner is an asset.
- Knowledge of Software Delivery Life Cycle approaches (Kanban and SCRUM are assets)
- Demonstrates knowledge of the principles, concepts and theories of own discipline and some knowledge of principles and concepts in other functions
- Understands appropriate procedures, policies, practices, systems and regulations
- Knowledge of the higher education sector (an asset)
- Good troubleshooting skills
- Attention to detail, diligent and rigorous work methods
- Self-motivated and demonstrated ability to work on different projects concurrently and to establish priorities
- Good team player with strong focus on delivering results to meet the business needs
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills – English (spoken and written) – French (spoken)
Minimum Education and Experience:
Bachelor’s Degree 3 Years Related Experience /
(MPEX Grade 05) $64,210.00 – $96,310.00
Hours per Week:
33.75 (Full time)
Port Mgr Appl Devl Services
Position End Date (If applicable):
McGill University hires on the basis of merit and is strongly committed to equity and diversity within its community. We welcome applications from racialized persons/visible minorities, women, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, ethnic minorities, and persons of minority sexual orientations and gender identities, as well as from all qualified candidates with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities. McGill implements an employment equity program and encourages members of designated groups to self-identify. Persons with disabilities who anticipate needing accommodations for any part of the application process may contact, in confidence, email@example.com.