Social Service Officer – Mental Health and Wellness
- Full Time
Our institution is committed to ensuring representation in its community; consequently, Vanier College welcomes applications from members of visible minorities, ethnic minorities, women, Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities, persons of minority sexual orientations and gender identities, and others with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities. The institution maintains its commitment to excellence in Education and recognizes that increasing the diversity of its staff supports this objective.
We offer a remarkable range of job opportunities so we invite you to navigate our job postings and apply so that you too can become a proud member of the Vanier College Community.
More specifically, but not limited to, the Social Service Officer enhances student-centered approaches for mental health and well-being initiatives across all campuses by:
• Leading the development, facilitation and evaluation of trauma-informed, inclusive, equitable, and culturally safe student engagement sessions, workshops, in-person and/or virtual events;
• Creating brave spaces for students to speak about lived experiences, with focus on the intersection of mental health and inclusion;
• Consulting and involving students and/or diverse community stakeholders in a manner that reflects values of anti-racism, equity, diversity, inclusion, and justice;
• Increasing students’ literacy of mental health and wellness;
• Working to integrate identified student needs into planning and decision-making;
• Applying evidence based mental health promotion frameworks and socio-ecological models to the development of the Student Mental Health Policy;
• Playing a leading role in developing the College’s Student Mental Health Strategy.
Other related duties which fall within the scope of the classification of this position may be assigned.
Schedule: Monday – Friday (35 hours/week ~ schedule TBD)
Contract: A.S.A.P. until June 30, 2023
Classification: Travailleur ou travailleuse sociale (Social Service Officer)
• Undergraduate degree in a relevant discipline from an accredited program such as Psychology, Social Work, Disability/Accessibility Studies, or other related field.
Conditions related to the specific position:
• Excellent knowledge of complex dynamics affecting mental health and well-being of university age populations, including factors related to students who identify and/or have intersectional identities as Indigenous people, Black people, people of colour, LGBTQIA2S+ people, people with disabilities or other diverse identities;
• Excellent knowledge of a settings approach to health promotion action in a higher education environment and awareness of participatory strategies for enhancing health and well-being;
• A sophisticated understanding of equity principles;
• Skilled in the development, organization, implementation, and execution of engagement activities;
• Strong facilitation and presentation skills;
• Exceptional planning, consensus-building, and organizational (time management) abilities;
• Proven skills in policy development, partnership building and organization change processes;
• Excellent communication, leadership and coalition building skills;
• Excellent English oral and written competencies (to be tested);
• Intermediate French oral and written competencies (to be tested);
• Basic knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel (to be tested);
• Ability to work as part of a multi-disciplinary team.
Note that a cover letter is mandatory, please be sure to attach yours.
If you are applying on a mobile device (smartphone, tablet), you will receive an acknowledgement email asking you to go update your file by attaching your CV in order for your application to be considered.
We thank all those who apply, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please note, candidates must apply directly on the Vanier College website at: https://www.vaniercollege.qc.ca/human-resources/jobs/job-opportunities