Guidance Counsellor (Specific Project) (Third Posting)
- Full Time
Job Title : Guidance Counsellor (Specific Project) (Third Posting)
Reference number : PSP-22-23-2810
Job Category (Job Alert) : Education and Pedagogy
Department : Services for Students
Services : Student Services
Immediate Supervisor’s Name : Anja Vroomen
Position Status : Full-time Specific Project
Length of the contract : Until June 30, 2023
Work Location : Vanier College
Work Schedule : Mon – Fri, 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. (35 hrs/week)
External Posting Start Date : 2022-07-28
External Posting End Date and Time : 2022-08-14 17:00
Salary Scale : $49,456 – $87,625
Expected Start Date : 2022-09-12
Vanier College is an English-language public college with more than 6000 daytime students from over 90 different nationalities. We have a thriving Continuing Education division that provides services to adult learners, international students as well as to community and corporate clients. Vanier has approximately 1000 employees and offers a stimulating work environment and a beautiful green campus. Our dynamic faculty and staff enjoy numerous benefits including an employee assistance program, employee fitness programs, professional development, daycare, educational fee waivers as well as music concerts and other activities.
Our institution is committed to ensuring representation in its community; consequently, Vanier College welcomes applications from members of visible minorities, ethnic minorities, women, Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities, persons of minority sexual orientations and gender identities, and others with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities. The institution maintains its commitment to excellence in Education and recognizes that increasing the diversity of its staff supports this objective.
We offer a remarkable range of job opportunities so we invite you to navigate our job postings and apply so that you too can become a proud member of the Vanier College Community.
Reporting to the Coordinator of Professional Services, the Guidance Counsellor advises, assists and supports Vanier students in the elaboration and pursuit of their goals. The Guidance Counsellor provides comprehensive personal, career and educational counselling, helping students choose an academic path that suits their individual characteristics, and supporting them towards academic success, social and emotional adjustment, and integration into college life.
More specifically, but not limited to, the Counsellor:
- Elaborates, implements and applies the objectives and policies of guidance services;
- Meets students, individually or in groups, to assess their needs;
- Uses standardized and recognized tools, conducts interviews, and makes observations;
- Assists students in exploring their interests, aptitudes, capacities, personality, professional experience, etc.;
- Provides students with advice, assistance and supportive counselling;
- Helps students to use their own resources in coping with a problematic situation;
- Provides referrals and resource information to address needs the College may not be able to meet;
- Facilitates workshops and presentations;
- Provides outreach to the Vanier community to promote mental health awareness and Counselling services;
- Collaborates with staff and faculty, as well as service providers or other organizations as needed;
- Provides assistance to the Vanier community in the event of a crisis;
- Prepares and updates records adhering to the standards of their profession and the College’s by-laws;
- Attends team meetings and participates in case studies within multidisciplinary teams;
Other related duties which fall within the scope of the classification of this position may be assigned.
Schedule: Monday to Friday (35 hours/week ~ schedule TBD)
Contract: A.S.A.P. until June 30, 2023
- Member of the Ordre des conseillers et conseillères d’orientation du Québec (OCCOQ).
Conditions related to the specific position:
- Permit from l’Ordre des psychologues du Québec (OPC) to practice psychotherapy, an asset;
- Excellent English oral and written communications skills (to be tested);
- Strong French oral and written communications skills (to be tested);
- Basic knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel (to be tested);
- Knowledge of issues related to the CEGEP milieu and its student populations;
- Previous experience in providing mental health counselling;
- Ability to work as part of a multi-disciplinary team;
- Experience with, knowledge of, commitment to, and passion for Equity, Diversity and Inclusion in supporting diverse and underrepresented student populations;
- Crisis assessment and crisis management skills (asset);
- Experience working with Clara, Omnivox, MyBlueprint and Career Cruising (asset).
If your work experience has changed since your last visit, please be sure to attach a new resume.
Note that a cover letter is mandatory, please be sure to attach yours.
If you are applying on a mobile device (smartphone, tablet), you will receive an acknowledgment email asking you to go update your file by attaching your CV in order for your application to be considered.
We thank all those who apply, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.