Enterprise Desktop Analyst (JR0000017711)
- Full Time
The Enterprise Desktop Solutions team manages several thousand end-user devices across McGill’s two main campuses and beyond. The Enterprise Desktop Analyst plays a key role in managing the entire fleet of devices, ensuring security, high performance, and minimal downtime while adhering to industry standards and best practices.
This position builds upon the typical desktop systems administrator role, adding foundational elements of business and data analysis, as well as software development. Responsibilities will include all aspects of remote management and support of a large fleet of end-user devices, but will also consist of researching, recommending, and developing solutions in support of end-user computing. Deploying and automating tasks will be integral to this role, as will building interactive reports and dashboards to help Enterprise Desktop Solutions and its customers understand our environment.
Key roles and Typical Functions:
- Responsible for the sound and secure management of a fleet of several thousand devices, including personal computers, virtual desktops, and other end-user technologies. These responsibilities include planning and coordinating large-scale changes, as well as the implementation of enterprise-scale solutions using industry standard tools, processes, and best practices.
- Build, deploy, and maintain operating system images, system configurations, software, bugfixes/patches/updates, and virtual desktops
- Develop scripts, applications, and automate tasks
- Provide expert level (tier 3) support and mentoring to service desk consultants, onsite technicians, and various IT professionals within the organization. Champion the adoption of industry standards and best/innovative practices amongst peer groups and throughout the University’s broader IT community.
- Participate in the implementation of technology, policies, and standards supporting the strategic mission of the University
- Stay informed on and engaged with new developments and trends in the Information Technology domain
- Ensure data and endpoints comply with established regulations, standards, policies, procedures, and configuration security guidelines. Maintain security by responding to malware, reducing vulnerabilities, and upgrading software.
- Research, recommend, document, and implement technology in accordance to business requirements
- Work closely with communications, change, and project management teams to develop and carry out IT projects and initiatives
- Troubleshoot, assess, and resolve problems associated with endpoint reliability and performance. Make recommendations to increase reliability and overall performance of systems.
- Liaise directly with customers to carry out incident management and request fulfillment tasks
- Author, edit, and review knowledge articles, standard operating procedures, break-fix documentation, reports, and needs assessments
- Undertake special projects and initiatives in end-user computing
- Foster and maintain effective working relationships with colleagues, clients, and vendors
- Develop alerts, reports, dashboards, and advanced visualizations including any required data extraction and manipulation
Education: Undergraduate Degree
Experience: Three (3) years’ related experience
Skills & Expertise
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Windows in an enterprise environment including expertise in:
- Endpoint Configuration Manager (MECM, SCCM, Intune, AutoPilot)
- Microsoft Deployment Toolkit (MDT)
- Azure, Active Directory, GPOs (Group Policy Objects)
- Log correlation, monitoring, and alerting tools (Graylog, Windows Event Collector, SIEMs)
- IP address management tools
- PowerShell remoting, WinRM, Windows Admin Center, and other remote management tools
- Software packaging and deployment
- Experience with Apple macOS configuration and administration including software packaging and deployment. Knowledge of Automated Device Enrollment and Mobile Device Management (MDM) an asset.
- Experience with desktop and application virtualization including VMware Horizon, Azure Virtual Desktop, and Microsoft App-V
- Functional knowledge of endpoint security, patching, and vulnerability management in an enterprise environment including expertise in:
- Endpoint protection software such as Cisco Secure Endpoint (AMP)
- Windows Server Update Services (WSUS) and Windows Update for Business (WUfB)
- Application control (WDAC, AppLocker)
- Java Deployment Ruleset
- Experience with Microsoft Office including Office 365 Apps, Office Deployment Toolkit, update channels, and licensing
- Functional knowledge of Windows File Server, file shares, NTFS permissions, and best practices associated with securing customer data
- Expertise in PowerShell, Python, CMD, SQL, and Web Services APIs (SOAP, REST, etc.)
- Experience with querying data sources, as well as data visualization and reporting tools such as Power BI
- Knowledge of DevOps, version control, CI/CD pipelines, and automation platforms is an asset
- Practical knowledge of ticketing systems and IT Service Management processes including:
- Request fulfillment
- Incident and Problem management
- Change management
- Asset management
- Highly motivated, creative individual who works well autonomously and within complex teams
- Strong troubleshooting and problem analysis skills
- Strong communication and writing skills
- Ability to coach, train, mentor, and advise
Minimum Education and Experience:
Bachelor’s Degree 3 Years Related Experience /
(MPEX Grade 05) $64,210.00 – $96,310.00
Hours per Week:
33.75 (Full time)
Ent Desktop Serv Port Mgr
McGill University hires on the basis of merit and is strongly committed to equity and diversity within its community. We welcome applications from racialized persons/visible minorities, women, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, ethnic minorities, and persons of minority sexual orientations and gender identities, as well as from all qualified candidates with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities. McGill implements an employment equity program and encourages members of designated groups to self-identify. Persons with disabilities who anticipate needing accommodations for any part of the application process may contact, in confidence, firstname.lastname@example.org.