Administrative Coordinator (JR0000015724)
- Part Time
Under the direction of the immediate supervisor, provides administrative and secretarial support. Participates in ensuring the smooth functioning of the unit’s operations. Acts as a resource person for policies and procedures. Administers unit accounts. Assists in the organization of unit activities. Responsible for documents and files of the unit. Maintains computerized information systems.
Major Duties & Responsibilities:
1. Acts as resource person regarding the unit’s policies and procedures. Resolves problems within the area of responsibility. Consults relevant documentation and liaises with appropriate resource persons to obtain and provide information on diverse and complex issues.
2. Participates in ensuring the smooth functioning of the unit. Recommends procedural changes to enable the unit to function more effectively. Collaborates with supervisor and others in establishing work priorities. Follows up on and ensures appropriate implementation of decisions made by the supervisor.
3. Administers accounts for the unit. Prepares budgets or budget proposals. Monitors and reconciles various accounts, statements, and reports. Identifies and analyses discrepancies and errors. Corrects errors and follows up on problems. Records expenses and provides account statements on request.
4. Acts as a resource person, resolves problems and instructs others. Provides technical guidance and assistance concerning work methods, the operation of a wide range of audiovisual equipment and related techniques.
5. Participates in activities related to student affairs such as admission, pre-registration, registration, financial aid and international student-related issues. Keeps track of enrolments, course changes, reporting student standings, loans, bursaries and scholarship awards. Refers problems outside of the area of expertise to appropriate resource persons or officials.
6. Maintains supervisor’s agenda. Sets up appointments, reminds supervisor of appointments and organizes schedule according to priorities.
7. Provides information to callers and visitors. Determines reason for call or visit and prepares necessary documents. Directs callers and visitors to appropriate resource persons. Assesses need for intervention of other resource persons and arranges appointments as necessary.
8. Screens and sorts mail. Prepares files attaching appropriate supporting documentation and researching information as required. Responds to requests within the area of responsibility. Notes required actions and ensure follow-up.
9. Schedules meetings, contacts participants and books meeting rooms. Assists with preparation of agenda. Attends meetings, takes minutes, and follows up on decisions within the area of responsibility.
10. Coordinates arrangements for events such as symposia and conferences. Makes travel arrangements.
11. Uses a variety of software. Maintains computerized information systems and participates in their development to improve efficiency within the unit. Acts as a resource person concerning the use of the software. Explains and demonstrates the use of software, resolves problems within area of expertise, and liaises with computer resource persons as required. Maintains and updates administrative files. Maintains filing systems and arranges for archiving.
12. Ensures inventory and purchases supplies and equipment. Arranges for servicing of office equipment. Sells some items such as course notes and maintains cash box.
13. Uses standard office equipment such as personal computer, typewriter, calculator, photocopier and fax machine.
The list of duties and responsibilities outlined above is representative and not a complete and detailed list of tasks, which may be performed by an employee whose position has been matched to this generic job description.
Demonstrated interpersonal, listening, as well as verbal and written communication skills
Must be customer focused and service-oriented and have the ability to assist all clients with tact and diplomacy
Proven discretion in dealing with confidential information
Demonstrated ability to handle emergency situations, take initiative and to resolve problems
Demonstrated ability to draft correspondence
Ability to work autonomously and as a member of a team
Ability to multi-task, prioritize and work under pressure
Demonstrated ability to provide support and to coordinate various administrative activities
Demonstrated ability working in an accounting/budget environment: bank deposits, reconciliation, expense reports, fund transfers, etc.
Strong computer skills and ability to use various software and platforms (Microsoft Word, Excel, presentation software, Website updating, Banner (FIS & SIS), MINERVA and Adobe Acrobat and Workday
Knowledge of University policies and procedures
English and French, spoken and written. Arabic languages, an asset
Minimum Education and Experience:
DEP – Office Systems 4 Years Related Experience / DEP – Secretarial Studies
(MUNACA Level 09J) $23.17 – $31.97
Hours per Week:
27 (Part time)
Position End Date (If applicable):
Deadline to Apply:
McGill University hires on the basis of merit and is strongly committed to equity and diversity within its community. We welcome applications from racialized persons/visible minorities, women, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, ethnic minorities, and persons of minority sexual orientations and gender identities, as well as from all qualified candidates with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities. McGill implements an employment equity program and encourages members of designated groups to self-identify. Persons with disabilities who anticipate needing accommodations for any part of the application process may contact, in confidence, email@example.com.